Career as a Playground
The adventurous story behind Azobu.
Why we begin this journey
👋 Hello there!
Azobu is initiated by M Haidar Hanif and Maya Asmara in late 2019 and began the development since early 2020. Haidar has been a software engineer for about ten years and co-founder of a coding school in Indonesia. While Maya has been a youth mentor and mental health advocate for several years in Indonesia.
The Azobu headquarters are in Indonesia and Malaysia, but everyone at Azobu is free to live and work wherever they want. We love remote work and strive to make the experience of remote working better.
Back then, our job was the main source of stress and we felt tremendously unfulfilled in life. And we are sure many people can relate to this too. That is why our mission is to make the world more fun and happy with a meaningful purpose in their career and life. We think that work and life cannot be separated since they actually give influence and impact to each other. We believe we can get the most out of our journey if we can harmonize work and life instead of separating them.
Inspired by many such as Khan Academy, Duolingo, Udacity, Udemy, Codecademy, freeCodeCamp, Mindvalley, and more, Azobu is born to connect the end to end journey of a person's career: from starting to learn a skill, going through meaningful work, up to building a company and organization or whatever the ultimate goal is.
How we do things
We were inspired by Jeff Bezos' advice from Amazon.com. He said, "Find the things that won't change in your business and invest heavily in those things."
For us, the thing we wish will always stay in our company is hearing people say, "I had a great experience with Azobu", "It's so easy to use Azobu service", and "Azobu is worth the cost". Therefore we'd like to invest a lot in user experience, education quality, and inclusivity.
Why it is called Azobu
"Azobu" 「あぞぶ」 is inspired by "asobu" 「遊ぶ」 or 「あそぶ」 means "play" in Japanese. We encourage you to have fun and be happy in whatever you are doing. It is not only about playing just for fun, but also for better career growth and life. We believe it is not an empty success that leads to happiness. But if people are happy, they can perform well and achieve purposeful success so much better.
Some companies have similar principles in applying playful concepts in their name and culture. We were inspired by them!
- Amazon refers to the "Amazon river" as the largest river in the world. Then Amazon aims to be the biggest commerce platform in the world.
- Alibaba refers to "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves", from a collection of Arabic stories called 1001 Nights. Ali Baba is a woodcutter who discovers the secret of a thieves' den, entered, and get a lot of treasure!
- Adobe refers to "Adobe Creek" in Los Altos, California, which ran behind Warnock's house.
- Basecamp refers to, well, "Basecamp", a camp from which mountaineering expeditions set out. Their product aims to get people to work together in just one tool.
- Le Wagon refers to a bus. So the philosophy is that people are joining together in a bus to learn with the same goal. Their service is a coding bootcamp for creative people.
- LEGO refers to "leg godt", means "play" in Danish. They originally began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen, a carpenter from Denmark, who began making wooden toys in 1932. In 1934, his company came to be called "Lego", derived from the Danish phrase "leg godt", which means "play well".
⭐ We chose a star image, icon, or emoji as the main symbol of Azobu. We combine the bright yellow star into the center of "O" in the Azobu logo.
Some unique terms we use
We express ourselves in daily conversation with some Azobu terms:
- Let's azobu! → Let's play and be happy!
- We are azobuing our work → We are playing and be happy with our work
- To be azobu → To be playful and happy
- The azobu state → The playful and happy state
- This is my azobu way → This is my playful and happy way
Since Azobu itself is a unified way of life, here are the elaborated values that collectively guide our decisions and actions:
- Happiness is a way of living and working
- Live and work for valuable things in your life
- Default to transparency in our process and result
- Evolve career to the point we're breathing together with it
- Life and work harmony is better than just a balance
- Constant improvement to our well being
- Seek to positivity in many situations
- Practice gratitude and reflection
One more thing...
We wish that Azobu is propelling beyond limits of tech education and career development worldwide. Beyond just coding and technology, we love when people can enjoy the experience of life happily, fully.